Skip to main content

Critical Thinking Co. (TOS Crew Review)

My children and I had the honor of reviewing a product from Critical Thinking Company. as part of the 2009-2010 The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew.  The product we were sent was Balance Benders (Beginning), the title of which told me very little about the product until I had it in my hand.  Wow.  It's neat!

Balance Benders is a book of logic puzzles that are based on a balance scale, and we received the beginner level, which is geared for children from second to sixth grades.  Big gap, I know, but there is a wide range of difficulty from the first puzzle to the last in the book, so I can see how they make that claim!

For only $9.99, it is a great resource!  While many people may look at the book and have their doubts that it has any value, I immediately knew it was a great fit for our family.  My husband and I are logical people, and I personally LOVE logic puzzles.  I was instantly immersed in the book myself!!  Then, I decided to see if our fourth-grader could do any of them (I am supposed to be reviewing this for second- to sixth-graders, right? ~grin~).

Well, without any commentary or queries, she promptly answered the first three and looked at me like, "uh-huh, and why are you asking me to do this?"  I explained how difficult the concept is to some and how important it is that we train the logical parts of our brains while we are young.  She seemed proud to be able to do the puzzles so easily.

I contemplated asking my first-grader if he could do them, but he is so sensitive when he doesn't get something right the first time (especially if he is following behind a successful attempt by his sister!), so I haven't done so.  We'll see what the summer holds.

To read my fellow Crew Mates' reviews of Balance Benders or other products from Critical Thinking Company, click here.

*Disclaimer: I received Balance Benders for free as a member of the TOS Crew with the understanding that I would use it and review it. A positive review was not required, just deserving.  I was not compensated for this review in any way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EuReKa!

Wow! I just read a WeE-book (a short, electronic book available for immediate download) from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine called The "Me Time Myth and Boy! was it just what the doctor ( The Great Physician , that is) ordered! I have been hosting a Really Big Pity Party around my house lately, and I have been as misguided as a little girl wandering into a Men's Restroom because she hasn't been told to look for the dress! (The only problem is, I probably have been told to look for the dress!) I have been dissatisfied with my life - every aspect of it! The house is never tidy, but I don't like to clean. The kids grumble about their schoolwork, and I get tired of rallying them. The dog is biting everybody, yet I don't feel like 'shadowing' him again today. The dishes are never done, the family needs to eat again (...whole grains, lean protein, vegetable, fruit...), the laundry is piling up (whites, darks, pastels, linens...) .... You get my drift her...

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o...

How Has Homeschooling Affected My Life?

Well, homeschooling IS my life, so suffice it to say, there's no stone unturned!  Massive takeover, at times, a bit hostile!! For example, my second child was getting ready to embark on Mother's Day Out and my first child was conveniently ensconced in a Government-run "educational" facility, and I had a glimmer of real freedom... for about a day.  Then I found out I was preggo with Baby #3.  Commence Meltdown. I have since gotten over that traumatic , er, beautiful time, and we have embraced homeschooling.  The freedom never came, the oldest got pulled from Uncle Sam's Brainwashing Academy, and the second offspring never entered a public school.  The third will not go away to preschool. They go with me to the doctor.  This, they do not love.  Neither do I. ( Mommy, why is she putting that there?? ) Alas, it is our lot in life... at least until the eldest is of babysitting age. They go with me to the grocery store.  This, they love occasion...