Skip to main content

Aha!: That Magical Moment

I have days when i wonder what i'm doing homeschooling.  Okay, i can't lie, i have weeks like this.  They are scattered about hither and yon, they scurry into hiding places when i try to meet them head-on, they jump out and take me by surprise when i'm not paying attention, but mostly, they make me feel like a failure.

Who do i think i am, teaching these kids?

What makes me think i can accomplish such a lofty goal when i have dozens of unfinished projects laying about?

Why would i add to my already-heaping plate such a tremendous task (times 3!)?

Well, today i got the reminder, the answer to all those questions and more.

My eldest had 'a morning' (she's 11 - use your imagination).
My son required constant reminders (he's 8, so he still loves to play).
My youngest was in 'a mood' (she's 4 and a bit emotional, so...).
We had an extra child today, and she was apparently feeding on our moods (yay: sharing!).

After a lengthy (and exhausting) pep talk with the eldest, lovingly but firmly reminding her of her responsibilities to herself, her education, her family, and God, i poured my energy into the younger kids and left her in the Lord's hands.

That means we got lunch made, we worked on phonics and math (teacher-directed math with 3 kids is no small feat, let me tell you!), and we tidied the living room (i even dusted!).  The eldest arrived downstairs for her i-feel-better-now-Mommy embrace, and we moved on.

So when did i get my answer, you ask??
When my daughter went to God with a clear understanding of her problems and came back focused and content.

When my son learned to round to the tens place and said, "but when there's one that's halfway between the two numbers, like '5' - then what?" before i could even tell him the rule. (yay: critical thinking!)

When my youngest counted the bumps on the math blocks in order to answer me when i asked 'which one is the number 4?'

As if all that wasn't enough, my eldest needed help with her math after lunch, so she came to me with her problem and when i explained it, she said, "that's all? I thought it was a lot more complicated than that!"

Oh, how i love That Magical Moment of Aha!
I guess that's why i teach my own kids - i'm good at giving them Aha! moments and i love to witness them.  God sure knows how to counter my concerns.  What a beautiful day it's turning out to be!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EuReKa!

Wow! I just read a WeE-book (a short, electronic book available for immediate download) from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine called The "Me Time Myth and Boy! was it just what the doctor ( The Great Physician , that is) ordered! I have been hosting a Really Big Pity Party around my house lately, and I have been as misguided as a little girl wandering into a Men's Restroom because she hasn't been told to look for the dress! (The only problem is, I probably have been told to look for the dress!) I have been dissatisfied with my life - every aspect of it! The house is never tidy, but I don't like to clean. The kids grumble about their schoolwork, and I get tired of rallying them. The dog is biting everybody, yet I don't feel like 'shadowing' him again today. The dishes are never done, the family needs to eat again (...whole grains, lean protein, vegetable, fruit...), the laundry is piling up (whites, darks, pastels, linens...) .... You get my drift her...

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o...

How Has Homeschooling Affected My Life?

Well, homeschooling IS my life, so suffice it to say, there's no stone unturned!  Massive takeover, at times, a bit hostile!! For example, my second child was getting ready to embark on Mother's Day Out and my first child was conveniently ensconced in a Government-run "educational" facility, and I had a glimmer of real freedom... for about a day.  Then I found out I was preggo with Baby #3.  Commence Meltdown. I have since gotten over that traumatic , er, beautiful time, and we have embraced homeschooling.  The freedom never came, the oldest got pulled from Uncle Sam's Brainwashing Academy, and the second offspring never entered a public school.  The third will not go away to preschool. They go with me to the doctor.  This, they do not love.  Neither do I. ( Mommy, why is she putting that there?? ) Alas, it is our lot in life... at least until the eldest is of babysitting age. They go with me to the grocery store.  This, they love occasion...