Skip to main content

"Adulting" Our Way Through Conflict

As busy adults, we can easily resort to communicating via text message. Need to see if someone has a book your child needs to read for school? Text 'em! Want to know if your friend can get together Friday for coffee? Text 'em! Checking in on a friend with the flu? Text 'em!

It is great for quick thoughts, simple questions, or making plans to get together. What texting is NOT great for is authentic communication. Too much is lost in print, too much room for things to be misconstrued, and too much temptation to be more harsh than you might be in person. Even the experts on proper communication agree that any serious conversation needs to happen in person. I am not making this up, this is not just my opinion, but I have definitely experienced this and found it to be true.


However, it seems our Microwave Society, hooked on the instant gratification of texting and social media messaging for communication, has lost interest in personal communication, in face-to-face relationship. We're too busy, too important, and too impatient.


When I have tried to plan a face-to-face with someone to have a touchy or difficult conversation, people often go on the defensive (therapists and relationship experts believe that defensiveness shuts down any attempts at effective communication). Or worse, they go on the offensive (the best defense is a good offense, right?). The meeting doesn't generally take place because things are said via text or message system that are too hurtful to overcome - or one party just plain doesn't want to meet. Maybe they feel backed into a corner.... Maybe they feel threatened. Maybe they don't value the relationship enough to actually carve time and energy out to get together.


Whatever the reason, we are losing something truly valuable: the ability to navigate conflict well, disagree with grace and love, and improve our relationships through true intimacy. And if that isn't enough of a reason to figure this problem out (and QUICK!), we are not doing a great job of raising the next generation to be very good at it in the process!


My oldest daughter has had some really messy situations to deal with due to handling concerns/conflicts via a message system. When I have stepped in to help guide the situation, I noticed that a lot of parents aren't well-equipped to help their teens navigate conflict well. (Side note: I'm not great at it either, but I am willing to keep trying until we get it figured out!) How can we expect our kids, with under-developed brains and immature emotional intelligence, to navigate the intricacies of interpersonal relationships well if we adults cannot lead by example?


The temptation to handle everything via the written word, dashed off quickly and without thought to how it will be interpreted, is great, I'm not going to lie. And I am not without fault in this area. But we don't have to be so stubborn that we cannot learn from our mistakes, right? How many of us have had someone say something hurtful in writing that we are pretty confident wouldn't have been said to our face over a cup of coffee? [raises hand] And how many of us have regretted something we said in writing because we didn't intend it to be interpreted the way it was? [raises hand]


It is said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. I, for one, do not wish to be insane; I've made it this far without losing my mind. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EuReKa!

Wow! I just read a WeE-book (a short, electronic book available for immediate download) from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine called The "Me Time Myth and Boy! was it just what the doctor ( The Great Physician , that is) ordered! I have been hosting a Really Big Pity Party around my house lately, and I have been as misguided as a little girl wandering into a Men's Restroom because she hasn't been told to look for the dress! (The only problem is, I probably have been told to look for the dress!) I have been dissatisfied with my life - every aspect of it! The house is never tidy, but I don't like to clean. The kids grumble about their schoolwork, and I get tired of rallying them. The dog is biting everybody, yet I don't feel like 'shadowing' him again today. The dishes are never done, the family needs to eat again (...whole grains, lean protein, vegetable, fruit...), the laundry is piling up (whites, darks, pastels, linens...) .... You get my drift her...

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o...

How Has Homeschooling Affected My Life?

Well, homeschooling IS my life, so suffice it to say, there's no stone unturned!  Massive takeover, at times, a bit hostile!! For example, my second child was getting ready to embark on Mother's Day Out and my first child was conveniently ensconced in a Government-run "educational" facility, and I had a glimmer of real freedom... for about a day.  Then I found out I was preggo with Baby #3.  Commence Meltdown. I have since gotten over that traumatic , er, beautiful time, and we have embraced homeschooling.  The freedom never came, the oldest got pulled from Uncle Sam's Brainwashing Academy, and the second offspring never entered a public school.  The third will not go away to preschool. They go with me to the doctor.  This, they do not love.  Neither do I. ( Mommy, why is she putting that there?? ) Alas, it is our lot in life... at least until the eldest is of babysitting age. They go with me to the grocery store.  This, they love occasion...