Skip to main content

Invisible [a book review]

Generally, the emails to review books for Handlebar Publishing announce books I would like to read, but I usually don't respond quickly enough to get my hands on them. Then I got the email for Invisible, by Ginny L. Yttrup. I wanted this book so badly after I read the description that I was sure I would not get a copy. But I did! After I found out they were mailing me the book, I decided that since I was actually receiving the book and so looking forward to it, it must be a book I would struggle to read. My, was I struggling with trusting God, eh? ;^)

Okay, so the book comes in the mail. I'm thrilled, I tell ya! I'm also 3/4 of the way through a mystery novel and no way am I stopping before I find out Whodunnit.... So. I wait. I scramble through the mystery, discover the killer (What?!?! That crazy lady did it!?!?), and sigh with satisfaction as I exchange that book for Invisible, which was patiently awaiting me upon my nightstand.

From the very first page, I'm hooked. Seriously. the. first. paragraph. Maybe, the first sentence. Hard to say. Love at first sight.... hard to analyze, but there it was. And I drank in this book. This book became my favorite part of the day, my excuse to go to bed right after the kids instead of playing on Facebook or washing the dishes, and my joy when the kids wanted to play outside (I get to sit in a chair in the sun and read!!).

The characters were amazing. Deep. Flawed. Focused. Beautiful. And somehow, different. I've read books before in which the author has more than one main character, and it is generally written in such similar style that the characters have similar idiosyncrasies and mannerisms. This actually drives me crazy because people are so unique, but I always let it go because I realize an author has a "voice" when she writes and it must be difficult to create a different "voice" for each character. You know? But Ginny does it. She nails it. Each of the three main characters are unique, but spectacular.

Okay, now I could give you the digest version of the storyline, but you can read that on the back of the book or on Amazon.com or Christianbook.com when you go to buy it (and you really should buy this book!). Instead I will tell you that I only have one favorite book, and I read it years ago. It will forever be my favorite book because of all God taught me personally as I was reading it. However, Invisible is my new, close runner-up for favorite book. Ever. And I've never even had a second favorite! This book will help you - if you let it. This book will direct you to God - if you let it. This book will help you discover who God IS and who God IS NOT when it comes to the way you look at yourself.... if. you. let. it. I pray you open yourself and let this book in....

Comments

  1. I will check out this book because your comments seem so enthusiastic and genuine. That's good enough for me. Would you believe, I home schooled in the 1980s. I belonged to TWO groups: one a conservative Christian group, and the other, a hippie group. Don't remember too much about the second group, but the first was highly organized and we had some amazing experiences (I hope the kids did, too, ha ha). Take care. And remember that Jesus had to go for R & R from time to time, and you do, too. I highly recommend getting away for a few days, even if only to grandma's, WITHOUT the children. Please respect your need to come up for air. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Trip to the Nashville Zoo!

Did anyone watch the weather for Middle Tennessee today? No? Well, let me tell you about our field trip to the zoo! We arrived to discover that almost every other school group of pre-kindergarten through second grade children decided to go to the zoo today! Our first view of the zoo was of the PACKED parking lot, to the side of which we saw two things: more than a dozen big, yellow school buses; and so many groups of children gathering before the entrance that the entryway was concealed from view! After delving into the fray, we parked our minivan and headed up to find our group. (Let me interject here that my children and I had created matching shirts to help us stay together and identify each other should we become lost. This was more wise than even we knew when we decided to make them! Luckily, no other school group had quite our shade of sunshine yellow, so we were good to go!!) Okay, into the zoo we go! The kids are excited! The animals are awesome! And, the rain is begin

Weary of Winter

Last summer, we began a tedious journey through a difficult season in our lives: family trials coupled with unprecedented numbers of illnesses in our home have just about driven me batty.  So, after a frayed rotator cuff in my right arm (why i don't blog as often anymore), the discovery of a couple of possible learning disabilities in my kiddos (not covered by our insurance, naturally, so we're on our own), two stomach viruses (TWO!!), possible RSV that led to pneumonia (myself and the Littlest Princess), bronchitis (hubby), and an ear infection (the Man-Child)... i was deeply touched to be sent the " Stylish Blogger Award " by a friend from my reviewing days on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschool Crew !  Wow! I needed that reminder that there is life out there and i used to be a part of it!! Thank you, Heather!! :^) Check out her awesome site at http://faithfamilyandfun.com/ I don't know how she does it, but there is always something new and inspirin

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o