Skip to main content

The Value of Good Health

I'm really struggling with something lately: How do i put a price tag on my child's health and well-being?

Let's say, for just a moment, that i found out my child had cancer (God forbid!). Let's then assume, for the sake of this conversation, that my insurance doesn't cover the treatment. Further, the treatment is just over $5,000 and will take weekly therapy for 8-12 months. What would i do? Quite obviously, i would treat my child to get rid of the cancer!

Now, imagine the health concern is merely that her eyes don't function properly. I don't mean she needs glasses; i mean, she has eyes that do not operate physically the way they are supposed to and it interferes with her brain's ability to understand what she is seeing. Basically, she sees everything as if her eyes operate independently of one another, and her brain thinks she is seeing double (and that is really only one of the problems).

That may not seem life-threatening, and certainly, she'll not die of this condition. But imagine for a moment that you see every set of words as if there are two of them and they slightly overlap. Now go read for an hour a day. Do 30 minutes of math every day. Write interesting and grammatically correct essays every week. Right. That's what i thought. Not just a nuisance, but a real handicap in school.

However, we truly cannot afford the treatment. Besides which, our son needs the same treatment, so multiply that figure by two. And just like when we treat cancer, there is no guarantee. It is a great likelihood that they will walk away "cured" of their vision development problems forever! But it is also possible they cannot be fixed completely. Helped, but not necessarily "cured."

So my struggle is that i feel like i am putting a price tag on my children's future. It is all well and good to say "we couldn't afford to send him to karate" or "we never had the money for her to pursue dance" when we reach graduation day. But, folks, how do i look at my children each day for the rest of my life and accept that i did not help them SEE.

God, only You can help me with this dilemma. Only You know my heart AND my situation. Please direct my path and focus my heart on You.

Comments

  1. Hang in there sister! God will make your paths straight! We will pray for you to have wisdom in this decision.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weary of Winter

Last summer, we began a tedious journey through a difficult season in our lives: family trials coupled with unprecedented numbers of illnesses in our home have just about driven me batty.  So, after a frayed rotator cuff in my right arm (why i don't blog as often anymore), the discovery of a couple of possible learning disabilities in my kiddos (not covered by our insurance, naturally, so we're on our own), two stomach viruses (TWO!!), possible RSV that led to pneumonia (myself and the Littlest Princess), bronchitis (hubby), and an ear infection (the Man-Child)... i was deeply touched to be sent the " Stylish Blogger Award " by a friend from my reviewing days on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschool Crew !  Wow! I needed that reminder that there is life out there and i used to be a part of it!! Thank you, Heather!! :^) Check out her awesome site at http://faithfamilyandfun.com/ I don't know how she does it, but there is always something new and inspirin

Missing My blog...

Okay, it seems like forever since I wrote on here, and I really have nothing to say and too much to say all at once! There is so much that God is showing me lately, and there is so little time to do more than just soak it up and take one step at a time. The kids are great! We survived a few days of babysitting while my sister-in-law was in Hawaii. Yeah, that's a rub, right? :-) We enjoyed a teaser of Spring, which prompted us to begin some seedlings... (can you say "germination?" what a wonderful teaching opportunity it was!) we planted 2 different kinds of tomatoes, basil, early peas, and some flowers. Most of our seedling pots are on the kitchen table, but in a month or so, we will have some work to do to transplant it all outside! Yay! We learned today that Quin is actually halfway through first grade on his reading and math. That is a really nice surprise to a laid-back homeschooling mom! Calysta is trucking along in all her subjects beautifully. And Dania is

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o