Skip to main content

Yes, You Can...

...learn to build a website using HTML! And the people of Click Drag Solutions can help with their product, Web Design for Kids. The beautiful thing is this: you need only a computer with Notepad (free with Windows OS) and Internet Explorer (also free with Windows OS), a television, and a DVD player. In our case, our DVD player is our computer, so we only needed the computer!

First of all, let me tell you that I was thrilled to get this in the mail! My husband is a computer nerd, and our living comes from his techno-geek know-how. (You can imagine how I plotted and planned the time he would spend with the kids and this HTML teacher.) So, I was surprised that he wasn't interested in pursuing it when I so gleefully handed it over to him... until I tried to teach it to our oldest child. Unfortunately, our 9-year-old doesn't have enough basic computer skills to make learning this program as easy as it could be, so we aborted her lessons in HTML - for now. As parents, we have allowed our children to use the computer in what we consider to be safe ways, and that has apparently blinded us to all the things we needed to teach her! For example, she didn't know about folders within a computer and the naming and organizing of folders. Had she had even that basic computer knowledge, this would have been much simpler for her to learn. The software actually teaches the basic stuff, too, by the way! We just haven't had enough interest in it yet. I do think that my son is wired to be fascinated with this program... just as soon as he can read past an early-first-grade level!

Having used the program some, I can attest to it being easy to use, simple enough to follow, and quite step-by-step. We were able to pause the DVD at critical junctures (which the DVD actually prompts you to do), follow the step, then play the DVD again when our step was successfully completed. Then you just repeat that process until you have learned the lesson! Calysta built a webpage in her very first lesson!! I was so proud!!

I must say that I was disappointed that my family didn't live up to my dreams of designing websites in childhood, but it wasn't because Web Design for Kids couldn't make it so; we just weren't ready. In fact, if I didn't have to review this product so early in the year, we would probably have a very different outcome!

{You can see what my fellow TOS Homeschool Crew Members had to say about Web Design for Kids by clicking here.}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field Trip to the Nashville Zoo!

Did anyone watch the weather for Middle Tennessee today? No? Well, let me tell you about our field trip to the zoo! We arrived to discover that almost every other school group of pre-kindergarten through second grade children decided to go to the zoo today! Our first view of the zoo was of the PACKED parking lot, to the side of which we saw two things: more than a dozen big, yellow school buses; and so many groups of children gathering before the entrance that the entryway was concealed from view! After delving into the fray, we parked our minivan and headed up to find our group. (Let me interject here that my children and I had created matching shirts to help us stay together and identify each other should we become lost. This was more wise than even we knew when we decided to make them! Luckily, no other school group had quite our shade of sunshine yellow, so we were good to go!!) Okay, into the zoo we go! The kids are excited! The animals are awesome! And, the rain is begin

Weary of Winter

Last summer, we began a tedious journey through a difficult season in our lives: family trials coupled with unprecedented numbers of illnesses in our home have just about driven me batty.  So, after a frayed rotator cuff in my right arm (why i don't blog as often anymore), the discovery of a couple of possible learning disabilities in my kiddos (not covered by our insurance, naturally, so we're on our own), two stomach viruses (TWO!!), possible RSV that led to pneumonia (myself and the Littlest Princess), bronchitis (hubby), and an ear infection (the Man-Child)... i was deeply touched to be sent the " Stylish Blogger Award " by a friend from my reviewing days on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschool Crew !  Wow! I needed that reminder that there is life out there and i used to be a part of it!! Thank you, Heather!! :^) Check out her awesome site at http://faithfamilyandfun.com/ I don't know how she does it, but there is always something new and inspirin

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o