Skip to main content

The Proverbial Straw

How many times have you met The Straw?  You know the one: it's the very last straw you can handle... the one that "breaks your back?"  Furthermore, how many times have you met The Straw... only to find you can handle more than you thought you could?  Yeah, that's God.

Sometimes, i really think God has a LOT more confidence in me than He should... until i remember that He doesn't actually want me to handle anything.  He wants me to give it all to Him and Let. Him. Handle. It. All.

Okay, i'm a work in progress, and i am teachable.... mostly.  Well, He must still think i am if He's still wasting His time on me.

Several times over the past year, i have believed that i have reached the peak of what i can handle.  You understand - you've been there, no doubt.  Not surprisingly, though, i have mostly been wrong.  I can apparently handle quite a bit.  This past week, month, year, i have learned a lot about myself, a lot about my family, a lot about the world, and a whole lot about God.

While i appreciate the efforts to which God goes to ready me for His Kingdom, i must admit the process is often filled with grief and pain.  There is grief over the loss of self, the loss of relationship, the loss of understanding, and the loss of what i imagined was there before i learned it was a farce.  There is emotional pain, spiritual pain, mental pain, and physical pain.  And just when i think i can't take another cut, someone lays another blow on me.  Sometimes, i rant to a close friend and the steam subsides.  Other times, i bring my concerns to God and the Spirit calms me.  Rarely, but occasionally, i find myself enjoying a small pity party.  Those don't last long, but they are wrenching and bleak.

I have not know how to write on my blog during the past week or so - life has been too difficult to say anything positive or funny, and i do hate to make this blog a place for my whining.

However, tonight, i feel led to share.  It seems many of us are being "sifted" in preparation of the troubles ahead. I offer my prayers to each of you who rides this train with me.  The journey is long, the battles are weary, but the Spirit is capable.

May God bless you through your suffering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field Trip to the Nashville Zoo!

Did anyone watch the weather for Middle Tennessee today? No? Well, let me tell you about our field trip to the zoo! We arrived to discover that almost every other school group of pre-kindergarten through second grade children decided to go to the zoo today! Our first view of the zoo was of the PACKED parking lot, to the side of which we saw two things: more than a dozen big, yellow school buses; and so many groups of children gathering before the entrance that the entryway was concealed from view! After delving into the fray, we parked our minivan and headed up to find our group. (Let me interject here that my children and I had created matching shirts to help us stay together and identify each other should we become lost. This was more wise than even we knew when we decided to make them! Luckily, no other school group had quite our shade of sunshine yellow, so we were good to go!!) Okay, into the zoo we go! The kids are excited! The animals are awesome! And, the rain is begin

Weary of Winter

Last summer, we began a tedious journey through a difficult season in our lives: family trials coupled with unprecedented numbers of illnesses in our home have just about driven me batty.  So, after a frayed rotator cuff in my right arm (why i don't blog as often anymore), the discovery of a couple of possible learning disabilities in my kiddos (not covered by our insurance, naturally, so we're on our own), two stomach viruses (TWO!!), possible RSV that led to pneumonia (myself and the Littlest Princess), bronchitis (hubby), and an ear infection (the Man-Child)... i was deeply touched to be sent the " Stylish Blogger Award " by a friend from my reviewing days on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschool Crew !  Wow! I needed that reminder that there is life out there and i used to be a part of it!! Thank you, Heather!! :^) Check out her awesome site at http://faithfamilyandfun.com/ I don't know how she does it, but there is always something new and inspirin

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o