Skip to main content

Wonder-FULL Website! (TOS Crew Review)

When I was given a complimentary temporary subscription to the ABC Teach website as a member of the 2009-2010 The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew, I was thrilled! It seems like nearly very time I do a web search for worksheets or handouts to compliment a lesson in our homeschool or my co-op, abcteach.com is one of the top (if not THE top) links that comes back. And that is when I put the word "FREE" in my search! I could only imagine the gobs of stuff they have for paying members.

Well, I had the privilege of finding out just how much they provide for members for a short time (and it seemed far too short!). The site is just so FULL of great stuff - it is like someone handed me $5,000 and set me loose in a homeschool supply store!!

There are lesson plans for all ages, handouts, coloring pages, and games for any subject you can imagine! For example, I searched for worksheets for my oldest to practice her cursive handwriting, and not only are there prepared handouts for just this lesson, but as a member, I had the opportunity to create my own! So, naturally, I did. I made her a couple of handwriting practice sheets with "story starters" - that way, she does her creative writing, grammar, and handwriting all at the same time... we're big fans of lessening the workload around here. Those turned out so well that I created some personalized handouts for my son to practice his name and telephone number!

In addition to all of the wonder-FULL materials you can get at abcteach.com, you will discover how well they are organized so you can get in, get what you need, and get on with your busy life! That was ABSOLUTELY, HANDS-DOWN my favorite part of this particular educational website. So many sites that offer free materials are time-consuming, tedious, and jumbled. Obviously, to be offering free educational materials, a site need not be fantastic or organized, and I shouldn't be complaining, but abcteach.com certainly breaks the mold on that one!

As great as the abcteach.com site's free stuff is, the "member's only" materials are amazing. There are more lesson plans, more activities, more subjects, more games, just plain MORE. This website absolutely proves that you get what you pay for. And with abcteach.com, you get A LOT. I absolutely believe that you can teach at least preschool and kindergarten with just this website alone. You can almost teach first grade (I know, because I am teaching first grade this year), too! In the upper elementary grades (since I do not have middle or high schoolers, I did not check the site out for those ages), you can search science topics, or math topics, or social studies, or grammar, or whatever! For example, I searched for information about leaves since I was slated to teach a science co-op on the subject, and I got some GREAT ideas, some lesson plans, and some handouts for my kids to follow up on the lesson.

There really is just so much there, and we had such a short time to enjoy it all {do you hear the whine in my voice??}, so this membership will probably be going in our school-year budget for next year... we have 2 more years of preschool and then kindergarten still ahead of us, and abcteach.com is an invaluable resource! To see what my fellow Crew members had to say about abcteach.com, click here.

* No monies were exchanged for this product or this review. This review is based on my own honest opinion of a product that was provided to me for free with the agreement that I would use and honestly review it as a part of our homeschool experience. This is that review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field Trip to the Nashville Zoo!

Did anyone watch the weather for Middle Tennessee today? No? Well, let me tell you about our field trip to the zoo! We arrived to discover that almost every other school group of pre-kindergarten through second grade children decided to go to the zoo today! Our first view of the zoo was of the PACKED parking lot, to the side of which we saw two things: more than a dozen big, yellow school buses; and so many groups of children gathering before the entrance that the entryway was concealed from view! After delving into the fray, we parked our minivan and headed up to find our group. (Let me interject here that my children and I had created matching shirts to help us stay together and identify each other should we become lost. This was more wise than even we knew when we decided to make them! Luckily, no other school group had quite our shade of sunshine yellow, so we were good to go!!) Okay, into the zoo we go! The kids are excited! The animals are awesome! And, the rain is begin

Weary of Winter

Last summer, we began a tedious journey through a difficult season in our lives: family trials coupled with unprecedented numbers of illnesses in our home have just about driven me batty.  So, after a frayed rotator cuff in my right arm (why i don't blog as often anymore), the discovery of a couple of possible learning disabilities in my kiddos (not covered by our insurance, naturally, so we're on our own), two stomach viruses (TWO!!), possible RSV that led to pneumonia (myself and the Littlest Princess), bronchitis (hubby), and an ear infection (the Man-Child)... i was deeply touched to be sent the " Stylish Blogger Award " by a friend from my reviewing days on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschool Crew !  Wow! I needed that reminder that there is life out there and i used to be a part of it!! Thank you, Heather!! :^) Check out her awesome site at http://faithfamilyandfun.com/ I don't know how she does it, but there is always something new and inspirin

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o