Skip to main content

Homeschooling for REAL

Yesterday, we did REAL schoolwork... well, sorta....

We had our first EVER day of 3 straight hours of schoolwork.  We didn't take breaks to play because we were having so much fun!  Then we ate lunch, cleaned the bathrooms, and started again!  By dinner, we put our "schoolwork" away for the day. :-)

Here's what we did:
  • We read our Bible story. (Walls of Jericho)
  • We listened to the first chapter of Robinson Crusoe. (yeah, we had to find the kid version, though. Sorry, Charlotte Mason!)
  • We worked on our first lapbook (all about money!).
  • We watched Moody Bible Institute's The Wonder of You video. (did you know your heart pumps enough blood over your lifetime to fill a 70-mile-long line of tanker trucks?)
  • We traced ourselves on giant paper and labeled all the wonderful parts God gave us ("i praise thee because i am fearfully and wonderfully made!" Eyes=cameras! Ears=musical instruments!)
  • We learned about the state of Alaska (do you know the state capital city? say "you know" like old country accented english... Joo-know... JUNEAU!)
  • We did shapes puzzles with The Littlest Princess.
  • We went to the store and got a kids' tool set (ages 14+, not toys), some wood, some wood glue, and some sandpaper, and brought it all home to create our own bathroom book holder. (partially assembled, first coat of stain applied, waiting to finish it - hopefully later this week it will be all done!)

Today, we are going to plant strawberries, finish our money lapbook, read more Robinson Crusoe, read another Bible story, do some math, and play with textures.  Better get going...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EuReKa!

Wow! I just read a WeE-book (a short, electronic book available for immediate download) from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine called The "Me Time Myth and Boy! was it just what the doctor ( The Great Physician , that is) ordered! I have been hosting a Really Big Pity Party around my house lately, and I have been as misguided as a little girl wandering into a Men's Restroom because she hasn't been told to look for the dress! (The only problem is, I probably have been told to look for the dress!) I have been dissatisfied with my life - every aspect of it! The house is never tidy, but I don't like to clean. The kids grumble about their schoolwork, and I get tired of rallying them. The dog is biting everybody, yet I don't feel like 'shadowing' him again today. The dishes are never done, the family needs to eat again (...whole grains, lean protein, vegetable, fruit...), the laundry is piling up (whites, darks, pastels, linens...) .... You get my drift her...

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o...

How Has Homeschooling Affected My Life?

Well, homeschooling IS my life, so suffice it to say, there's no stone unturned!  Massive takeover, at times, a bit hostile!! For example, my second child was getting ready to embark on Mother's Day Out and my first child was conveniently ensconced in a Government-run "educational" facility, and I had a glimmer of real freedom... for about a day.  Then I found out I was preggo with Baby #3.  Commence Meltdown. I have since gotten over that traumatic , er, beautiful time, and we have embraced homeschooling.  The freedom never came, the oldest got pulled from Uncle Sam's Brainwashing Academy, and the second offspring never entered a public school.  The third will not go away to preschool. They go with me to the doctor.  This, they do not love.  Neither do I. ( Mommy, why is she putting that there?? ) Alas, it is our lot in life... at least until the eldest is of babysitting age. They go with me to the grocery store.  This, they love occasion...