Thursday, March 11, 2010

Advice?

i have a 10yo daughter.  My 10yo daughter is sensitive.  My sensitive 10yo daughter has begun sending me email messages to inform me of my parenting mistakes. {sigh}

What do i do with a daughter who is lazy but cannot handle being told she is being lazy?
How do i train a child who cannot accept her mistakes?
What do i do with a child who doesn't respect what i say if i am not being complimentary?
How do i raise a daughter without correction?
What do i do with a preteen who is embarking on a marathon of emotional turmoil?

Oh, Precious Jesus, give me strength and wisdom!  i feel so ill-prepared for this season!!

P.S. i am already making sure to hug and snuggle more, and we are spending more quality time together than we have the past few months.  Any other tips would be appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Angie! I am sorry but this had me laughing so hard:) We too, have a drama queen. I think mainly, you just have to know that what you are doing as a parent is right (praying and exploring your own motives). I'm a mom & stepmom, so I have to do that often.
    Once you feel like you are doing what is in your daughter's best interests...then she needs to listen! I would not budge, or be moved by the drama. When you are not angry--you can just smile or chuckle sweetly, and tell her "you are sorry she is not old enough or mature enough to understand" that ought to slow her down:) Conversely, when she does respect your rules or whatever, thank her for being "mature" (my dd loves that word) And, point out that she is a good role model for her siblings and you appreciate her behavior. After that, if she gives you too much grief--time out!!Really, you are the parent and you owe it to her to teach her respect--even though it is soooo much easier sometimes to just ignore it--it only gets worse:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,Thank you, Thank you, Heather!
    Good tip - The Drama Princess does love to think of herself as mature! (i have no problems using that word against her... mwahaha!)

    Well, i am glad you were laughing!! If we take our problems too seriously, we lose sight of how temporary they are, right? :^)

    By the way, i have been a stepdaughter, and i want to encourage you that it DOES get better!! What a snot i was to my stepmom my whole life, then WHAMMO! God took me down a few notches a few years ago, and my stepmom forgave me, and we are such great friends now!!!

    Peace and blessings upon you and thanks again for your time and encouragement.
    ~Angie

    ReplyDelete