Skip to main content

You Are What You Eat

I am so excited because our Farmer's Markets open on Thursday!  Last autumn, as many of you probably know, I read a wonderfully eye-opening book about the food we eat.  And while I hesitate to agree with them 100% on the humans-aren't-carnivores issue, I am in FULL agreement with them on the health of the foods we put into our bodies. I cannot wait to get locally-grown produce and family-farmed meats and dairy and eggs!! YAY!


 

Now, many of you will roll your eyes at this post, especially those of you who knew the horrors of the animal-to-food cycle already – and if you did, SHAME ON YOU!!


 

I, however, was completely naive to the goings on in the factory farms. Oh, was I in for a very rude awakening! If you still do not know of what I speak, I highly recommend you get a copy of the book I read, The Skinny Bitch (thanks Corey and Mom for the book!). It will tell you all you need to know. It will also advise veganism, but I leave that to your own discretion. I am personally going with humanely-farmed and humanely-slaughtered meats and poultry, organic dairy, and cage-free eggs. You can also check out this guy: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meat/ who is right on target with would say if I had all day to put it together. But really, he already said it, so why reinvent the wheel?


 

Okay, so now you are whining (uh-huh, whining) about the cost of going organic and cage-free, and I gotta tell ya, we have had a huge budget increase in the grocery area, but really, people, you are either going to pay for it in your food or you are going to pay for it in health costs down the line. Would you rather change the stuff you put in your body or fully finance a doctor's yacht? Okay, that was a touch sarcastic, but I am trying to make a point.


 

My point is this: the food we eat now is garbage. Animals should be treated humanely as they are raised and slaughtered for two basic reasons: A) we have a moral obligation to treat all living things with dignity, and if you aren't buying that, here's another one, B) the crap (yes, crap) the animals go through shows up in their meat, so stress hormones that are at high levels during the slaughter are in the meat you eat in your kitchen. Now, I don't know about you, but I have enough problems keeping MY hormones from killing me; I don't think I want the cow's and chicken's, too!


 

Oh, and if you are thinking, "our government is addressing this, so I am okay" – think again! Check these links out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humane_Slaughter_Act Hmm, does that photo of the cow being restrained for stunning look calming to you?? http://www.geocities.com/cyberactivist2003/index.html this guy used to be a slaughter worker. Now, he is a vegetarian. Hmmm. http://www.organicconsumers.org/irrad/insensibility.cfm older article, but still happening! The system is not fixed because consumers are placing their trust with governmental agencies who are big on promises and low on follow-through and truth.


 

Okay, I am climbing off my soapbox now. Got laundry to do. No surprise there.

See ya at the Farmer's Market!

Angie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field Trip to the Nashville Zoo!

Did anyone watch the weather for Middle Tennessee today? No? Well, let me tell you about our field trip to the zoo! We arrived to discover that almost every other school group of pre-kindergarten through second grade children decided to go to the zoo today! Our first view of the zoo was of the PACKED parking lot, to the side of which we saw two things: more than a dozen big, yellow school buses; and so many groups of children gathering before the entrance that the entryway was concealed from view! After delving into the fray, we parked our minivan and headed up to find our group. (Let me interject here that my children and I had created matching shirts to help us stay together and identify each other should we become lost. This was more wise than even we knew when we decided to make them! Luckily, no other school group had quite our shade of sunshine yellow, so we were good to go!!) Okay, into the zoo we go! The kids are excited! The animals are awesome! And, the rain is begin

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o

Weary of Winter

Last summer, we began a tedious journey through a difficult season in our lives: family trials coupled with unprecedented numbers of illnesses in our home have just about driven me batty.  So, after a frayed rotator cuff in my right arm (why i don't blog as often anymore), the discovery of a couple of possible learning disabilities in my kiddos (not covered by our insurance, naturally, so we're on our own), two stomach viruses (TWO!!), possible RSV that led to pneumonia (myself and the Littlest Princess), bronchitis (hubby), and an ear infection (the Man-Child)... i was deeply touched to be sent the " Stylish Blogger Award " by a friend from my reviewing days on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschool Crew !  Wow! I needed that reminder that there is life out there and i used to be a part of it!! Thank you, Heather!! :^) Check out her awesome site at http://faithfamilyandfun.com/ I don't know how she does it, but there is always something new and inspirin