Skip to main content

Homeschooling and Parenting

In general, intelligent parents do some sort of homeschooling every week. We teach our infants and toddlers skills they will need, and we talk to our preschoolers about letters and numbers. We help grade-school children with homework, and we answer endless questions about absolutely everything. All of this is home education.

The usual vision of the homeschool varies significantly, from children seated around the kitchen table writing in workbooks, to kids in various stages of hands-on activities throughout the house. Sometimes it looks like a tidy, orderly arrangement, and other times, it seems to be chaos. One thing is certain: no two homeschooling families are alike!

We do things somewhere in the middle most days. We have some orderly lessons at the table, but we throw in mud play in the backyard and spontaneous trips to the museum. Sometimes we do math first, other times we read, and still others, I start with our Bible lesson.

The reason I am writing about this is that I stumbled on a woman's homeschooling blog yesterday and she made some valid points, mainly that the average non-homeschooling family has some preconceived ideas of what homeschooling looks like. I have been truly blessed by my family and friends in their complete acceptance of what I am doing for my family. But even I realize that oftentimes, their ideas of what happens around here are fuzzy at best.

So, I want you all to know that I am a normal homeschooling mom. And what that looks like varies from day to day and week to week. But one things stays the same: I teach my own kids. I teach them math, science, reading, and writing. I also teach them manners, anger management, relationship science, nutrition 101, and basic housekeeping. In short, I am a parent who is entirely responsible for what my children grow up knowing. And if you ever find yourself thinking, "I could never do that," then say a prayer for me. 'Cause most days, it is more of a challenge than I let on!

Have a great day!

Comments

  1. I think you are doing God's work! It takes a special gift of patience, humility, sacrifice, and love to do the work of mom, wife, teacher, friend, daughter of the King, and the list goes on and on...

    I am in awe of your dedication, perserverance and humbleness to admit it is not easy and that you need prayer! I know this has been said time and time again, but Prayer is Powerful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EuReKa!

Wow! I just read a WeE-book (a short, electronic book available for immediate download) from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine called The "Me Time Myth and Boy! was it just what the doctor ( The Great Physician , that is) ordered! I have been hosting a Really Big Pity Party around my house lately, and I have been as misguided as a little girl wandering into a Men's Restroom because she hasn't been told to look for the dress! (The only problem is, I probably have been told to look for the dress!) I have been dissatisfied with my life - every aspect of it! The house is never tidy, but I don't like to clean. The kids grumble about their schoolwork, and I get tired of rallying them. The dog is biting everybody, yet I don't feel like 'shadowing' him again today. The dishes are never done, the family needs to eat again (...whole grains, lean protein, vegetable, fruit...), the laundry is piling up (whites, darks, pastels, linens...) .... You get my drift her...

Perimenopause: What to Expect that You are NOT Expecting

Perimenopause: What to expect that you're NOT expecting. Chapter 1: The Hot (Fire) Flash (Surge) The fan must be on. In every room. And you are now Mr. Rogers. You have a sweater for every outfit. However, you live in tanks and short-sleeved shirts underneath because nakedness is frowned upon in public places and you must disrobe in haste, frequently. The socially-encouraged bondage device, a.k.a. the bra, is more despised than ever. Fuzzy socks are your friend, because your circulation is poor and your skin is dry. You will end up with a pair in every room because you inevitably needed them off for extended periods and wandered away from them, only to need them again in another room. Winter weather is both bone-chillingly cold and a delight to overheated skin. Sometimes simultaneously. Summer is intolerable. Do not get me started on having a fever while experiencing a hot flash. 😳 And while we're mentioning it.... "Hot Flash" is not an adequate phrase for the rush o...

How Has Homeschooling Affected My Life?

Well, homeschooling IS my life, so suffice it to say, there's no stone unturned!  Massive takeover, at times, a bit hostile!! For example, my second child was getting ready to embark on Mother's Day Out and my first child was conveniently ensconced in a Government-run "educational" facility, and I had a glimmer of real freedom... for about a day.  Then I found out I was preggo with Baby #3.  Commence Meltdown. I have since gotten over that traumatic , er, beautiful time, and we have embraced homeschooling.  The freedom never came, the oldest got pulled from Uncle Sam's Brainwashing Academy, and the second offspring never entered a public school.  The third will not go away to preschool. They go with me to the doctor.  This, they do not love.  Neither do I. ( Mommy, why is she putting that there?? ) Alas, it is our lot in life... at least until the eldest is of babysitting age. They go with me to the grocery store.  This, they love occasion...